Monday, April 8, 2013

SNC Blog Hop



So happy to be dusting off the blog to participate in this fantastic blog hop!  
If you're following along, you should have found your way here from Kelsey's blog -- if not, no worries, just jump in and follow the list - you don't need to go in order, but be sure to hop to all of them, there's tons of inspiration to be had today - and maybe a few surprises too  :) 

Now onto the reason we're here!  I was so excited when stencils and masks was chosen as our theme for this hop - I've had this layout in mind for awhile, but never sat down to do it -- this was the perfect opportunity.  Like most of my layouts - its quick and simple - I used the masking as a background and anchoring point for my embellishments/details. 

I would love to get my hands on some of the great 12x12 masks that are out there - but for the amount that I'd use them, I'd probably feel like I was wasting precious scrappy dollars.  So in true Anita fashion - I made my own with SCAL and my cricut create --note, SCAL is no longer available for purchase for the cricut machine--but masks can be also be made easily using cricut cartridges.

Once it's cut, you'll want to put a bit of temporary adhesive on the back to secure it down on your layout, but still be able to lift it off.  Take some scrap pieces of cardstock to lay around your mask to prevent overspray - I first sprayed the entire thing with Jazz Blue Glimmer Mist - I wanted it to be fairly subtle, so only a few sweeping sprays

Next, I used another random shape template/cutouts I had made -- I placed them in the circles where I wanted them and did a concentrated spray of cherry blossom walnut ink or the jazz blue glimmer mist - make sure to cover up surfaces you don't want over spray on, no need for adhesive on these ones, unless you want them to be 'crisp' 



Next I added paper and  embellishments, I also traced around some shapes to pop them out a bit.  The heart on the tag was done using the cut out template like the arrow.   Like I said - quick and simple! 

Here's a few examples of layouts I've done using a Tim Holtz mask as well.



Thanks for stopping by today!  Hope you're enjoying the hop so far...your next stop is Lori 
but before you go, make sure to leave a comment!  I'll be having a draw for a wee scrappy prize - deadline for comments is Thursday, April 11, 2013  at midnight - I'll be doing the draw on Friday

Happy Scrapping! 



Karen http://sitscrapandrelax.wordpress.com

Dana http://scrappingtherapy.blogspot.ca/

Emily http://scrappingsomememories.blogspot.ca/

Stacy http://creatingbeautyfromashes.blogspot.ca/

Kelsey http://scrappinkels.blogspot.ca/

*you are here* Anita http://neetaschaos.blogspot.ca/

Lori http://itsabouttimeblogspot.wordpress.com/

Jenn http://jennzthoughtfulspot.blogspot.ca/

April http://livewelllaughoftenscrapmuch.blogspot.com/

24 comments:

  1. Wow, love the mask you created! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita...what an awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. I was wondering where I could get a template for the masking and never thought of doing one with my Circut. Thanks and wonderful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you layered different masks. I have SCAL but just the basic Cricut so I will have to make masks on a smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um awesome use of the Cricut!!! I'm so glad I bought SCAL when I did, lol.... Makes me want to dust off my Cricut and make some masks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love your idea! So creative, I have a cricut too and think I will try this next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you made your own masks! Very creative! ~Bev/Skeeter~

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great LO Anita! I love the rows of circles and the little images inside them. I will have to give this a try.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you incorporated a smaller mask into the larger circle mask. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fantastic job on the mask... I love it and now i am going to have to give it a whirl...

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea--love how your stencil and page turned out. The Tim Holtz pages are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg Anita! What an awesome idea to use different shapes inside the circles you cut out yourself as masks. Love how you added little embelishments inside the circles too . Also like the fact that you used a couple of different mist colors inside the circles. The ither layouts are great too...thanks for sharing!

    lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome!! I love the different shapes in the circles, it looks so clean!! :) I would love to see more examples of this technique. I want to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! Thanks for sharing your awesome page and great tips! Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your quick techniques and fabulous results.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MY............OH MY.........fabulous LO! I love the mask idea then layering. It is a subtle effect that makes your LO pop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a great idea to put shapes inside your circle mask! Beautiful LO!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That's fantastic...what a great and easy idea! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the look of those layouts! I like the multiple masks at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Very creative! What a great idea! Will try it definitely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh oh oh -- you've given me the best idea for something I'd been wanting to do on the layout I'm just starting but wasn't quite sure how I was going to! Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very neat! I never thought to do a mask on top of a mask! Cool.

    ReplyDelete